SENS Unix Labs
The following policies apply to the systems in the SENS UNIX labs:
- All public workstation labs are either open 24 hours or have access via swipe card readers, except when undergoing maintenance (usually during intersession gaps).
- All UNIX systems in public labs are rebooted nightly between 3:00 and 3:30 a.m. Users who are logged in will be given a warning message at 3:00 a.m., and are encouraged to log out promptly to avoid loss of work. The actual reboot time is staggered over a half-hour interval among the lab systems to avoid excessive network traffic.
- Eating or drinking in public labs is strongly discouraged.
- Users should not remote log in or run remote network commands to other public lab systems.
- Users who lock the screens on lab system consoles will have their processes killed without warning by the system administrator.
- Do not save data on local workstations, such as in temporary folders. These systems are never backed up and if we reload a new operating system image on them all data will be lost, permanently.
- Persons committing acts of vandalism or theft in public labs will be prosecuted.
Failure to comply with these policies can lead to account deactivation.